Antalya resides on the western edge of the ancient plain of Pamphylia and is now the most visited city in Turkey and one of the top 10 tourist cities in the world. This tour of Mediterranean Turkey will focus on the beaches and ancient Greek/Romans sites on the flat Pamphylian plain.
Your tour will start with a visit to the the Ancient city of Attallia – settled in 130 BC by King Attallos, the completely walled inner city or “Kale-ici” is now the heart of the thriving city of Antalya. The charming streets and restored homes make this a truly unique area to wander. Of course, all eyes are drawn to the beautiful harbor that is the foot of the old city.
Your tour will also visit the award winning Antalya Museum – a spot not to be missed with one of the best collections and displays in Turkey. Here you will see the enormous Lycian tombs, a section on Saint Nicholas, a feature on the local nomadic people as well as the finest statuary from Perge.
Over the next few days, you will see the 3 sister cities: Perge (of St. Paul’s fame), Side (an amazing site on the sea), and Aspendos (the finest Roman theater in Turkey). Each with their own unique character.
You will also take an excursion on the last day to see some of the magnificent waterfalls in Antalya.
If you desire to enjoy the beautiful Mediterranean coast and seaside, your hotel has direct access to a unique seaside swimming venue or you may choose to stay at one of the excellent boutique hotels located in the old city of Kaleici.
What is included in the tour
- Accommodation: 2 nights included
- Your Choice of Accommodations:
- Akra Hotel on the Cliffside (great for swimming in summer) or
- Kaleici Boutique Hotels of varying prices.
- Meals: 3 breakfasts and 3 lunches
- Services of a private licensed professional English speaking tour guide
- Admission fees to sights and museums
- Airport Transfers with air conditioned transportation with driver
- Parking, portage, toll roads
- Coordination and attentive customer service throughout the tour by Sojourn staff
- Required Association ofTurkish Travel Agencies Foreign Visitors Insurance (a basic mandatory policy and not an adequate replacement for purchasing your own travel insurance.)
What is NOT included in the tour
- International flight tickets and international air and departure taxes
- Optional gratuities to guides, drivers, etc.
- Travel insurance
- Visas, laundry, and personal items
- An overlooked delight- set on the coast of Antalya - this museum has collections from so many ancient sites - they have to store the less well known pieces in the garden! It's sections include pre-historic tombs, a wonderful pottery timeline with rooms of intact specimens, all the best statues from Perge, an overview of St. Nicholas (from nearby Demre, Antalya), the unbelievably impressive Lycian tombs, and the ruins recently discovered from the Antalya necropolis.
- Built in 2nd Century BC a well protected harbor that is now the center of a thriving city - Antalya's old town is a remarkable mix of 'get lost alleyways', sleek new restaurants, upscale bars, and delightful old protected Roman and Byzantine ruins - it was expanded under the Keykubat reign during Ottoman
- times and there are both Churches and Mosques to visit. Don't miss walking along the shore or the harbor- with impressive views of the bay and Toros mountains.
Perge / Perga Ancient Site
- Perga is located 15 km east of Antalya and is an impressively restored Greek/Roman/Byzanitine city. Don't miss one of the largest Roman bath complexes, the center of the road fountains, or the partially restored shops in the NE part of the city. This NE gate was the start of the Via Sebaste - the way of fame from St. Paul's first journey.
Aspendos Ancient Theater
- This ancient city is known for having the best-preserved theatre of antiquity. Not much of the city remains, but the theater is intact and in September you can see evening performances. It is a marvel and not to be missed.
Side (Ancient ruins and seaside town)
- A bizarre mix of Ancient city/ Theater that encompasses a touristic downtown area on a isthmus jutting into the sea - this is a unique place- swimming beaches on either side of town make this a 3 way draw - ancient city, modern shopping and relaxing beaches.
Day 1: Arrival in Antalya
- When you arrive in Antalya, your guide and driver will meet with you at the airport.
- You will visit Kaleiçi the historic city center of Antalya. The city has traces dating from Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk, and Ottoman times and surrounds the yacht harbor.
- After this you will visit the Antalya museum.
- You will be returned to you hotel
Day 2: Tour Perge/ Aspendos / Side
- After breakfast you will visit the ancient Greek cities of Aspendos and Perga the capital of Pamphylia.
- Aspendos was an ancient city in Pamphylia, It is located about 40 km east of the modern city of Antalya.
- On the return drive to Antalya you will visit the ancient city of Side. It is now a resort town and one of the best known classical sites in Turkey. The ancient city is situated on a small north-south peninsula about 1 km long and 400 m across. The Apollon Temple is the symbol of the city.
- After your tour you will be returned to your hotel.
Day 3: Tour Local Waterfalls Depart
- Today you will start slow in the morning before checking out of your hotel.
- We will visit some of the magnificent waterfalls in Antalya from the Upper to Lower Duden Waterfall and perhaps the Kursunlu Waterfall. Lunch will be at a local restaurant featuring local specialties.
- On your return you will be dropped off the Antalya airport.
- Small Group
- Group size - 15 pax minimum.
- Well thought out enjoyable tour routes.
- Educated English Speaking Guide
- Shopping only by request